Skip Navigation

Requesting H-1B sponsorship
H-4 Dependent Information
Length of Stay
Travel Abroad
Address Updates


Please contact the department administrator of your employing department for information about how to request H-1B sponsorship from JHU. OIS only accepts requests from the employing department for H-1B sponsorship. Information for the H-1B foreign national is available at:


An H-1B worker may bring their spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21 to the United States as H-4 dependents. H-4 dependents are not authorized to work in the U.S. They may study full-time or part-time.

For those whose family members are currently outside the U.S., there is no requirement to file an application with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (CIS) prior to a visa interview, or to obtain documentation from OIS. Consult the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate where your dependent(s) will apply for their H-4 visa(s) for information on visa appointments and any documents that they require. Your dependents should bring the following with them to their visa appointment:

  1. Copy of your passport identification and expiration page(s);
  1. Copy of your U.S. visa;
  1. Copy of your I-94;
  1. Copy of your I-797 H-1B approval notice;
  1. Your recent paycheck stubs;
  1. Evidence of their relationship to you (i.e., marriage certificate, birth certificate).

For those whose family members are currently in the U.S. in another immigration status and wish to change to H-4, please schedule an appointment to obtain advice on how to change status.
Top of page


H-1B workers are authorized to stay in the U.S. and work for their petitioning employer (i.e., JHU) until the expiration date of their I-94, provided they are maintaining their H-1B status. In most cases, the expiration of the H-1B status will correspond with the expiration of the H-1B petition that the university filed.

At times, an immigration officer at the port of entry may give an H-1B worker an extra ten days beyond the expiration of the H-1B petition when readmitting them from a trip abroad. This is solely at the discretion of the officer and is not a grace period that is authorized by regulation for all H-1B workers.

An immigration officer may also readmit an H-1B worker for less time than their H-1B petition is valid for, due to the expiration date of the passport. It is essential for you to be conscious of how long you are admitted for when you reenter from a trip abroad. If this occurs, it is imperative that you come to OIS to provide this information and receive advice. An H-1B worker is authorized to remain in the U.S. and work until the expiration of their I-94 or H-1B petition, whichever is earliest. Failure to extend your status by the expiration date can have very serious consequences for H-1B workers.
Top of page


H-1B workers who are traveling outside of the U.S. should carry the following documents with them:

  1. A valid passport;
  1. A valid H-1B visa stamp in your passport (see exceptions below);
  1. Your original lower portion of the I-797 approval notice and copy of the upper portion (you were provided with this when your H-1B petition was approved);
  1. A copy of the entire H-1B petition that OIS filed with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services. You should have received a copy of this with your H-1B approval;
  1. Your most recent paycheck stubs.

If you are subject to Special Registration (NSEERS), then please follow the departure procedures outlined in the NSEERS walk-away materials. Individuals subject to this will have an FINS number indicated on their I-94 from their last entry to the U.S.

H-1B visa applications

For those who changed their status to H-1B inside the U.S., or whose previously issued H-1B visa is now expired, you will require a valid H-1B visa in your passport in order to reenter the U.S. (see exceptions below). In addition to carrying the documents listed above, you should consult the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate where you will be applying for the visa for any additional information or documents they require.

Visa exceptions

  • Canadian citizens are exempt from visa requirements.
  • H-1B workers who meet all the following conditions do not require a valid visa to reenter the U.S:
    • You are traveling exclusively to Canada or Mexico;
    • You are traveling for less than 30 days;
    • You are in possession of a valid passport;
    • You do not apply for an H-1B visa while you are outside the U.S.;
    • You are in valid H-1B status, and do not relinquish your I-94 when departing the U.S.; and
    • You are not a national and/or citizen of a country designated by the U.S. Department of State as a state sponsor of terrorism. See for current list

This provision is called automatic revalidation of visa. It applies both to those who have expired H-1B visas in their passports, and those who have valid or expired U.S. visas in another classification in their passport and changed their status to H-1B inside the U.S.
Top of page


All non-U.S. citizens are required to report any changes in their residential address to the Department of Homeland Security within 10 days of the change. H-1B workers can report their address change by using Form AR-11. Those who are subject to Special Registration (NSEERS) should use Form AR-11SR. Also, please contact your department administrator to update your address in the payroll system.
Top of page

Style DIV, please skip.

Style DIV, please skip.